Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Blood Moon, Giants, and Wayfaring Comrades

Well, today seems like a long time ago at this point. I am very thankful to the incredible Mrs. Hynes, who agreed to come in for me this afternoon. She is another person who told me at one point, "Any time you need a sub, I will gladly do so for your class!" (This is the best thing about having the best class in the fifth grade!)

I read a smattering of an assignment I had them do today in their journals. In the reading book, it gave an example of an origin myth (a pourquoi tale) about two giants who were jailed underground, where they pound on the walls of their prison. This, according to the story, is where earthquakes come from. I've read some great ones already, and tomorrow we are going to start reading them out loud.


Today was National Hike and Bike Day, and Woodbrook came out in spades! Even though my homeroom had a rather slight participation (clears throat loudly), there were quite a few kids and parents out front and center today on this chilly morning. Thank you to everyone who participated! 


And while everyone was waking up early for the big hike to school, I hope you all caught a view of the beautiful (and haunting) Blood Moon.* We have been learning about eclipses lately, and this tied directly into Science. Nice timing, Sun, Moon, and Earth!

*And, by the way, Erik brought up the totally awesome in which, what if a Blood Moon happened on Halloween? How awesome would that be?  Unfortunately, this seems like something that all of our great-great-great grandchildren will get to experience at some point.

No comments: