Sunday, February 26, 2012

Hear Them Roar

I wanted to put up a post here to say something I never would have thought I would have to say. And I realize that I'm not making any kind of bold or daring statement here, but I have to let you know that I am really proud of all of the Girl Scouts in my class, past and present. The Girl Scouts are an organization which I have always been more than happy to support. Anyone who has ever asked me to buy any Girl Scout cookies knows that I am a sucker, and can never say no. The amount of Girl Scout cookies I have in any year is limited only by the number of girls who have asked--times three.

With all due respect to any non-Girl Scouts, I always look at my list of girls who are to stay after school for scouts and think, "Yeah, that doesn't surprise me." Amongst the girls on that list are always girls who are undoubtedly going to be the future leaders of America. They go on camping trips and learn to be strong women.

One example of a former 5-1 student who was a Girl Scout is someone of whom I am extremely proud. Catherine "Cat" Krege earned her Gold Award a couple years back. A Gold Award is something that I'm ashamed to say I didn't know about until Catherine earned hers. It is the equivalent of an Eagle Scout for Boy Scouts. They have to do many hours of leadership development, career exploration, and do quite a bit of focus work in addition of years in the Scouts in order to attain a Gold Award. She has competed for many years on the Adamson's Karate competition team, and overseas on the AAU National Karate Team. Catherine is now attending Indiana University in Pre-Law. Needless to say, there are much worse things you could do than be amongst her ranks.

Since I, for one, can't be amongst those numbers, I will at least do my part by indulging, along with Indiana State House Speaker Brian Bosma last week, in some Savannahs and Do-Si-Dos. Let me say that I am very proud of all of Woodbrook's Girl Scouts, past and present.

No comments: