Monday, February 13, 2012

Chrysalis and Counting

Today, after one minor snafu with the internet connection, we were able to meet with the guidance counselors from the middle school to set the schedules for next year. One thing that I did notice today was that I had a number of students tell me, "Mr. Carter, I'm signing up for German!"

I told the kids that, while yes, it's fun that I will say things to them in German simply because I speak (loosely) the language, they may want to take Spanish into consideration. English is a Germanic language, but I told them that Spanish is by far the most versatile second language to know in the United States right now.

After talking with the counselors, the kids asked me all kinds of questions about what happened in middle school when I was a kid. I told them about how I didn't really like very many of my teachers up until high school. It may be that I probably wasn't the easiest kid to like at times.

But I told the kids that they will like some of their teachers, and they won't like others. It's okay. One good thing is that they will only have each one for a short period next year. I told them that I think they will be in good hands next year. I know many of the teachers at Clay personally, and I like them.

It will be hard for some of them, and they will have to make some adjustments. Who doesn't in middle school? But I do know that they will come out of it better than they were going in. I hope the same can be said for being in my classroom.

No comments: