Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Hello Mother, Hello Father

What a great first day we had! Everyone did well up here at ol' Camp Tecumseh, my former home. It really does feel like I'm just taking a whole bunch of people I know--kids and their parents as well--"home" with me. I love that I got to see my students already acting in roles that they don't normally play in the classroom.

I only took a couple pictures today, but here's the smattering I caught from my class at the climbing tower this afternoon.

On tonight's Night Hike, we did get a beautiful view of the stars. I don't know where these stars go when we're in Carmel, but they look nothing like the sky we have here at camp. You should have seen the Big Dipper--colossal. I know the other groups went their way, but I took mine to the pine forest and then up through the oak forest on our way back. My group even got a peek at what I used to look like way back in the mid-90's. Nothing made me more "pleased" than to hear "Wow, you look young in this picture!"

Sure enough, there are barn cats aplenty, but luckily my class is following my mandate that they keep them on the ground and don't touch them.

Seriously, guys, I couldn't be more proud of not only my class, but of the parents and the other students that I'm getting to know through our time here at camp. It is truly a unique experience of things that cannot be taught in the classroom.

Can't wait for tomorrow.

No comments: