Friday, March 8, 2019

She Has It Figured Out

In this scene from The Simpsons, Lisa disguises herself as a boy to attend the boys' Math class, which is closed off from the girls, because girls' feelings are thought to be more important than their mathematical skills. You only need to watch the first few seconds to get my point here...



I used to use this as an illustration, not just for girls, but for math students in general. Lisa's approach to the subject is the healthiest I have ever seen in anyone. She loves being corrected, because she learned.

No one else seems to understand this, but I love being corrected when I'm wrong. Why? Because then I'm wrong about one less thing. It's the only way I can see that you can really grow. It's the basis for science. I know many people who are convinced that they are always right. The fact is that, because of this, they are often so wrong.

I don't think I need to tell you that this goes for so much in the world right now. Yes, math is an illustration here, but the lesson goes way beyond numbers.

No comments: