Friday, March 8, 2019

Mortality

Luke Perry's death was kind of a weird thing for me. I never watched 90210, but I was aware of his presence. And seriously, it wasn't much more than that for the next 20-25 years.

Then, he appeared on Riverdale, which is an over-the-top teen drama that I would never have paid any attention if it wasn't based on Archie Comics.

But this is not what got me about Perry's death. The fact is that he was, at the age of 52, too young to have died of a stroke.

I had one when I was 31.

Luckily, mine wasn't a "massive stroke" like the one that took his life. I was lucky enough that mine was a pretty light one, all things considered. And I am also really lucky that I had one at 31, because it was a huge wake-up.  

Huge.

Every day since then, I've taken meds. And another thing about this that was a reminder is that I need to take care of myself more than just taking my meds.

And the truth is that all of the cliches are true: you never think it's going to happen to you, it happens when you least expect it, and gosh, he was so young. These things are said all the time for a reason, but unfortunately it's usually after it's too late for someone.

Believe me, I've exercised every day since I found out. It's sad that I needed that reminder.

No comments: