Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Just a Little Brain Injury, That's All



We read an interesting article in class today. The video above is a promotional video, but I'm not necessarily trying to promote this product. The article was about new mouthguards for athletes that will help tell if a child has had a concussion even when they can't feel it.

I like going around and listening as the kids discuss these articles after our small class discussion. Reactions ranged from "these would be great" to "why don't we just wrap ourselves in protective bubbles".

While I'm at it, let me chime in that I absolutely love how well-read this class of kids is.

We have the materials ready for a good Science class tomorrow. Today we wrote down the materials that will be used (and they wrote them in their Science notebooks), and I gave them their objective: Create a lunar rover that can scramble across the classroom and over small objects, like a sweatshirt on the floor. This should serve as a simulation for the moon's crater-pocked surface. 


6 comments:

Unknown said...

that is so cool

Unknown said...

Hello from ArizonaWhere it's almost 80 degrees

Ian Hammond said...

I think it's great, but what would make it better is if it would make a sound and the higher the pitch, the more severe the injury.

Jeff said...

Mrs. Ohrvall: I agree completely!

Jack: Hey, man! Hope Arizona is nice--the weather sure does sound great, especially up here where it's been thirty-something and cloudy and dreary for the last week or so. How is sixth grade down there? Tell me you still have your flow...

Ian: What a great idea. You could be an engineer for stuff like this. I wonder how awesome you would be with some of the stuff we're doing on science right now...

germansquid said...

hi

Jeff said...

Hey, Dominick! Hope everything is great in your world!