Sunday, July 20, 2014

Swinging Sticks of Fury


One of the coolest things about karate camp last week was that we received a visit from Sensei Rudy Pavletic. This will sound a bit boring, perhaps, to those who aren't connoisseurs of karate, but Sensei Pavletic is the man responsible for creating the renowned "nunchaku kata", which is a routine using nunchucks. While he was there, he taught several students the double nunchaku kata. (The name of the single nunchaku kata is impi sho no nunchaku, but I honestly can't remember the name of the double version.)

This is Miss Emma showing me what she learned from Sensei Pavletic. I had decided by that point that we only had so many pair of nunchaku to go around, let alone go around twice, so I figured I'd learn it from someone else who had learned it. I told Miss Emma that I would have to have her teach this to me in the dojo.

At karate camp, I got to once again lead the campfire this year. I also got quite a bit read--including finishing up a book recommended by Chico's dad (Wind, Sand, and Stars by Antoine St. Exupery), a book recommended by Mr. Hunter (David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell), and finishing up re-reading a book that I'm reading along with Shoji for tutoring (The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs by Betty G. Birney).

But my new goal is to learn that double-nunchaku kata, because really, when you watch someone do it, they look really awesome.

No comments: