Friday, January 25, 2013

Don't You Know That You Are a Shooting Star?

Huge thanks goes out today to Mrs. Katsis, Mrs. Wright, and Mrs. Masuoka. They came in and delivered messages today for the Everybody Counts program. Everybody Counts is a program focused on teaching students about learning disabilities and how people handle them. Also presenting this morning was Mrs. Stephenson, the teacher for one of the special education classes here at Woodbrook. She did a great job at explaining things from the point of view of a student with a learning disability, and went another step further and had her 18-year-old nephew, Justice, who has autism, speak and answer questions. I always enjoy overhearing the students during Everybody Counts, and how they interact with different adults. They had more questions than I had time to answer regarding dyslexia this morning, but it's always good to see the kids come to an understanding with some of these issues.


I taught the kids this week about "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally". Today we had a quiz in Math over exponents, scientific notation, and order of operations. I think I gave them too much too soon on the order of operations. I made this quiz at the start of the week, so if they got any wrong, I'm going to give it back to them to make corrections on Monday. I told them that I was going to consider this a formative assessment, so corrections would be made.

Another presenter we had today was Mr. Matthew Pletcher, who showed the class how to do multiplication the way they learn it in Japan:




He had given us one lesson last week, and then was asked if he could to a three-digit number times a three-digit number. He went home, did some research, and came back today and taught everyone how to do it. He was nervous as he punched the numbers into his calculator, but sure enough, he had done it all correctly. There was a lot of carrying involved, so it was fun to see it all work out just the right way.

I told the kids that next we will have a completely loaded schedule! We have to get five days' worth of work done in four days before Colonial Days on Friday. Noses will be pressed against grindstones, but we will all have some pretty strong noses as a result. 

Okay, one last thing before I go. I just received a phone call from Mrs. Kleinschmidt, the school librarian. She was laughing hysterically. It seems that the Young Hoosier Book Award team from my class--consisting of Bobby, Mark, Harry, and Luke--decided on the team name "The Donner Party." Love it. She asked, "What are you teaching your children?" I told them that it had come up in a book we read as a class. She said, "I have to go out on that one."

And so will I.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

No comments: