Sunday, December 4, 2011

Been There; Done That; Doing It Tomorrow

Wow, folks, I'm not going to lie. We're going to have a busy busy busy time before break. It's not too much to handle, but it may be pretty close. Just going by my lesson plans right now, we have the following: one spelling test, one Caesar's English quiz, one math quiz (my math class only), one math test (again, only my math class), one Theme Test (7--and the kids didn't fare well on this last one...), a book report, an Astronomy quiz, commas to learn, Rigby Reads to learn, and a 5th grade musical to perfect and perform.

Now, relax. I will spend a lot of time in class working with the kids, talking them through these things, and at least the Astronomy will be open-note. I also plan for one or two of those tests to be take-home in variety, so be on the look-out for those over the next couple weeks.

Don't worry--I am going to be sensible when it comes to these things; I will be making sure not to give stuff like this on the night of the musical, for example. And I won't bog the kids down too much. However, the amount of homework they have over the next two weeks may start to get closer to what they will have next year.

Just telling you to brace yourselves for a crazy, maddening couple of weeks around 5-1. Don't worry; you won't feel most of it on your end, but you will feel something. I told the kids that we were in for some big changes last Monday, but the truth is that this craziness is the way we would be with or without our reboot a week ago. This is fifth grade as normal.

To quote Shakespeare, "What's past is prologue." Here's the rest. Hang on for the ride!

No comments: