Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Second Day

The kids are out at recess right now, so I'm going to take a few moments to let you know how impressed I am with their politeness. They are such a nice group of kids. They are pleasant when we're in class, and seem genuinely happy to be here. It's great.

I told them today that it is my job to help them be successful--not to just give them good grades, but to show them how they can earn them. It's not going to do them any good unless they can feel that they have earned it.

We started in on a paper about commas. That's when I realized that they could probably stand to go back and review subjects and predicates. I had them wad up the comma paper and throw it away, but we'll revisit it later in the year.

One other thing we've done today is Caesar's English. Parents are big fans of this program, because it teaches kids to recognize prefixes and other roots such as pre-, de-, and super-, which will in turn help them to figure out what words mean.

Uh-oh, there's the sound of their feet coming in the door. Better run for now. I think Day 2 has been successful for everyone!

No comments: