Wednesday, December 9, 2009

One Foot Out the Door

Today we bid farewell to Mr. Shriver, our cadet teacher. We're going to miss that kid (or technically, adult) in 5-1. He is going to be a natural at teaching. I first met Mr. Shriver through my karate dojo, where he's been teaching for awhile.

I like to think that he discovered the same thing about teaching that I did--teaching school doesn't automatically make you awesome at teaching karate (in my case) and vice versa (his case). Of course, with time, he became extremely comfortable with the kids and had them eating out of his hand. We've worked together quite a bit at the karate school, so I was really happy when he wanted to do his cadet teaching with me.

The kids wrote him letters of advice today before he left. I liked hearing these as he read them out loud--very insightful. I hope one day he'll come back and student teach with me, because he's going to be an awesome teacher.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Hi Mr. Carter. It's Kate. We will miss your karate buddy.

Jeff said...

My karate buddy? Mr. Shriver?

kate said...

You know, you both do karate.