Monday, December 7, 2009

Another Great Philosopher

Bah! No news yet. It was only for an EMG (not sure what that means, but evidently it stands for "we're going to poke you with needles and electrocute you"). When the lady called, she said it was to let me know what the tests thus far said. Now I'll find out right after Christmas.

Anyway, for your information, we're going to try to have the semester wrapped up by next Thursday, which means we're going to have to be regular whirlwinds up to that point. I'll do my best not to over-test, but we really should get another book report in there somewhere (don't worry, not another project), a Social Studies test, and at least one more Caesar's English test. I'll let the kids know tomorrow what is going to come when, but I'll also do my best to go easy on them.

The last thing my grandfather ever said to me was while he was in hospice: "You go easy on those kids!" His eyes were closed and it was almost not understandable, but it came through loud and clear. This was five years ago, right after I was talking about how I had to come down on some of them for being idiots that day. I try to remember that whenever I'm making decisions in the classroom, but often it falls to the back of my mind. I have to think that it must have seemed important to someone who was about to die, and I figure that's about the most clarity you're ever going to have on life. Even though it doesn't entirely make sense sometimes to me, I figure there's more truth to it than I know in the here and now.

So we'll successfully wrap up our semester, but if there are some loose ends, that's okay too.

No comments: