Sunday, August 19, 2007

Prelude to a Great Year

Well, our first week of school has come and gone. It's been a good week, trying to get into the groove of how things work in my classroom, the jobs, the routines, and of course, the rules.

One thing I told the kids this week is that when I ask them a question or ask them to do something, the appropriate response is "Yes, sir" or "No, sir". Maybe it's the fact that I'm a karate instructor, or maybe I'm just a Southerner at heart, but they're doing pretty well with it so far.

As you may know by now, not only do the kids have me for reading, but also for Word Study, and many of them will have me for Math as well. They will rotate around to Mrs. Callahan, Mrs. Jackson, and Mrs. Shearman for their other classes: Science, Social Studies, and English respectively. After some discussion, we decided that I will also be pitching in and teaching the kids some Social Studies and Science lessons as well. This excited me, because as someone who used to teach everything, I thought I'd lost my Social Studies and Science.

You also may have heard that the kids earned a drawing lesson on Friday afternoon. I discovered that we have a whole mess of blooming artists in the class. This behavior incentive worked really well, so I'll have to figure out a regular time to do this every couple of weeks or so.

This is a good class. I hope to see everyone at Meet the Teacher Night on Thursday, August 30th.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kyle's told me all about it. It "s a lot different this year. Do you like how they are working things?
Laura

Anonymous said...

That was a great post mr. Carter. awesome job!