Monday, November 27, 2006

Playing Catch-Up

Man, I've been awfully remiss in not having the kids write anything on here for awhile now. To be fair, it's only been two days. And last Wednesday we didn't do much that was truly educational with the exception of the Caesar's English test. We did do some Social Studies, where I dressed up as a pioneer schoolmaster and led the kids through a day in my "strict" classroom. I felt kind of like Miss Nelson in Miss Nelson is Missing. I think the kids appreciated me a little bit more after that. Then after that, we did some karate. I just showed the kids how to do a couple of punches, when a bully situation exists (and it's in very rare circumstances, by the way), and I showed them all of my weapons and what they were used for back in the olden days, back when they were farm tools. Finally, we had a party thanks to Mrs. Alexander and Mrs. McGinnis. And Mrs. Heldt brought some stuff in for us also. Thanks, ladies!

As for this week, we're having a test in Science on Thursday over the diagrams they received a few weeks ago showing the parts of a flower and a bee. I'm trying to figure out what to do for Science right now, because our plants died. I was in every day over the weekend, honest! Anyway, any experiments in pollination may be pretty interesting from here on out. I'm trying to figure out how we're going to pull it off.

The second test this week is in Math. The kids received their study guide today, which is due tomorrow. It has everything about percentages and fractions on it. That's on Thursday too. Man, am I a meanie or what? The Science test is really more of a quiz, though.

I'm trying something new with Caesar's English. We're going to take a quiz/test (call this one whatever you want) next week on the next two lessons. This contains both the words and the roots. It's not until December 8, however, so you guys have plenty of time to study it.

Lastly, on Friday we will be having poetry day. The kids are to write a poem (reminder: go over this tomorrow, Carter!) as well as bring one in from an author other than Shel Silverstein. There are plenty of other poets out there, and they can choose one of them. Otherwise, I'm going to have one non-Silverstein, and the rest of them would all be from Where the Sidewalk Ends.

That's it. You should see one of the kiddos doing this tomorrow. Luckily, they're a lot less long-winded than I am.

No comments: