Thursday, November 30, 2006

Carter Current Vol. 6 Issue 11

Hey, I wanted to start off this week with a public apology for not mentioning Brady, Brian, or Keith in my list of names from the Veteran’s Day program. I knew even as I was typing that I was going to leave someone out, and sure enough, I did. Each of them got up there and spoke to the school in honor of our country’s heroes, and I’m thankful to them for it.

Science
Well, I wish I had better news about our plants. Inexplicably, however, they died. And they died before we got to our pollination project. So much for the Wisconsin Fast Plants. We did manage to have a quiz this week over the diagrams, and next week I’m going to bring in a few plants, I believe, and we’ll do the pollination process with them.

English and Social Studies
This week for Caesar’s English, we’re doing two lessons instead of just one. What’s new is that we’re going to do two lessons every two weeks. That way the kids get a lesson with stems and roots as well as the words each time. We’ll try it this way and see how it works. In Social Studies, the kids did biographies on governors of Indiana. They wrote their rough drafts and drew their pictures this week, and next week we’ll be going to the computer lab to type them up. I'd like to thank Mr. Heldt for coming in a couple weeks ago and sharing about his trip to New Harmony and some of its history. It was really great of him to pay us a visit like that, and the kids learned a lot from it. Thanks, Mr. Heldt!

Math
We had a test yesterday on percentages and fractions. Now we’ve moved on to Geometry. This is pretty easy material for students who have struggled with past subject matter. It can be a bit more difficult for the kids who find the other stuff simple. It’s a bit trickier than just “know your shapes”. There are a lot of concepts in this unit that the kids will use well into the future.

Bits of Business
·I’d also like to thank Laura and Brian for bringing in stickers for me. Thanks, guys!
The kids are hard at work on the musical, It’s Saturday. They’ll put it on Thursday, December 14th, at 7:30.

“What we ever hope to do with ease, we must first do with diligence.”
--Samuel Johnson

Have a terrific weekend!
--Mr. C

No comments: