Sunday, December 16, 2018

The State of Good

I've been away for a couple days, but here's another addition to my Dojo-Advent calendar that I have added every year for a little while. I love it too much.



I also want to direct everyone to this article that appeared in the Wall Street Journal a couple days back. It really goes a long way to explain what I love so much about former Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels's run as university president. Even as governor, Daniels went out of his way to find innovative ways to improve Indiana's economy, and didn't rely on political partisanship to try to accomplish his goals. Depending on who you ask, he may or may not have distanced himself form our current Vice President, but sure as anything, he's kept his mouth shut, neither supporting nor speaking out against him. But he brings to Purdue what he brought to the State of Indiana, which is a no-nonsense fiscal approach to the school while not acting out of pure capitalism, which takes some restraint as well as not pandering to those who would be looking for more money.

While I am waxing nicely about Indiana governors, I want to throw out here how proud I am of Governor Eric Holcomb for passing a law against hate crimes. The following was written in The Indianapolis Star by Brian Sloydsko yesterday:
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — The spray-painting of a swastika outside a suburban Indianapolis synagogue this summer was the final straw for Republican Gov. Eric Holcomb, who quickly called for Indiana to join the 45 states that have hate crime laws.
"It's not only the right thing to do, it's long overdue" Holcomb said Friday during an interview with The Associated Press. "I'm convinced the overwhelming majority of Hoosiers feel the same way."
 You can read the rest of the article here, but I am just happy that the governor is doing the right thing, and that he has words for anyone who thinks otherwise.

It feels good when you can just feel awesome about being a Hoosier.

No comments: