Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Everything Is Awesome

At this point, I have no idea if anyone is still reading or not. I'm going to go ahead and keep writing, though. Just in case anyone is. And if not, then maybe next year's class will be able to look back on it and get--I don't know--something out of it.

I watched The Lego Movie this evening. I bought it on a whim while checking out at Meijer earlier (doggone marketing experts putting it right there at the check-out line).

I love this movie.

I guarantee this will be one of the "four choices" my students will get next year...IF they get enough pattern block shapes to fill up the water bottle.

Quote from this masterful movie:

The prophecy is made up. But it's also true. It's about all of us. Right now, it's about you. And you...still...can change everything.

It is so full of grown-up, geeky in-jokes about Star Wars, Batman, and Legos that you kiddos might not get until you're older. It's not that they're the dirty kind of jokes, just "mature" jokes (about Legos). (And yes, I know that the "proper" plural of "Lego" is "Lego", but that just sounds plain pretentious. I hate it when people do that.)

That having been said, the message is right there. Rebel against the instructions. As long as you can make it more awesome, that's the only thing that will ever change anything for the better. I could go into the conglomerates ("Taco Tuesday", anyone?) and the media/entertainment/news corporations, but I won't (or did I?).  

This was a fantastic movie. Highly recommended on the off-chance that any of you haven't seen it.

9 comments:

Cookie Monster said...

I got that today.

Jeff said...

Mitchel, I just updated this post slightly, and this time with a special in-joke just for you. Can you spot it?

Cookie Monster said...

Is it about the prophecy?

Jeff said...

No, read the last line of the second to last paragraph. "Or did I?"

Cookie Monster said...

Now I see it (Or did I)

Jeff said...

:)

Cookie Monster said...

:) :) :) :0

Cookie Monster said...

I put a comment on Monster and Squid yesterday. Thanks

Jeff said...

Okay, Mitchel. Look back at that post now. It's been improved.