Friday, March 12, 2010

Bowled Over

We’ve been learning about the Revolutionary War in Social Studies recently, as you know. While I love this Social Studies book, it spends only one chapter on the war. Luckily, I have a few tricks up my sleeve. One thing we’re doing to augment this chapter is by watching sections of the John Adams series from HBO. Don’t worry, I’m carefully screening it each night before I show any of it to the class, and we discuss the scenes before, during, and after watching them. It’s awesome when I have certain students (some more than others, for sure) pick up on things we’ve learned about in Social Studies through the book or that I’ve talked about. Most of them are really paying attention, and that’s a great sign. It amazes me how much a lot of them do understand.

Thank you to my Math Bowl team, as well as my helpers, Ike and Michael. Mrs. Davis and Mrs. Elder were also both on hand to cheer us on, as well as all of the parents. A HUGE thank you to Mrs. Carroll, Mrs. Franklin, and Mr. Ohnemus for staying with the kids before the competition. We came in fourth place in the city, which is awesome! Great work and huge thanks to everyone involved!

No comments: