Thursday, September 18, 2008

But If We Were In a Vacuum, We'd Run Out of Air

As alert reader and recent student of mine, Claire B., pointed out yesterday, the huge shockwave of homework does come at them like a brick wall. So I'm not going to hold back too much on it this year, although I do have to admit the beginning of last week was a bit over the top--but just a little bit. 

I'm hoping this afternoon or before lunch to get some more work in Time Stops for No Mouse done. The testing has been a little more time-consuming than I thought. We always make our testing plans as if we were in a vacuum, or not actually in the real world where life continues to happen whether or not you're in the midst of some earth-shatteringly important test in which you have to actually chain and bolt their test booklets into a closet if you want to go to the bathroom at any point during the day. And that, children, is a run-on sentence.

Indeed, life has continued apace this week, and between the bathroom breaks and the drinks and the snacks and everything, we're left with a pittance of spare minutes in our day, and have ended up reading about a paragraph and a half of this book each day or so. Needless to say, we'll be continuing this next week, as well as getting with our guided reading groups. 

And as we find that Time Stops for No Class, either, the kids may find themselves having to make good use of their spare class time. With some urging on my part, they might learn that they would have less homework if they spent more time working on it at school and not putting the 348th layer of tape on their name tags. 

These are great kids. I know I say it all the time, but I just continue to enjoy coming in to work each day. Please contact me if you have any questions about what is coming up in class, anything to do with camp coming up (anyone going to the workshop this weekend or next?), and if I can answer you, I will be happy to do so.

No comments: