Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Days of Fire and Madness

Hey, guys, it's me this time. I have to get you all caught up on everything--from crazy changes in the schedule to everything else going on, I think it's time for a quick update.

First off, Buckeye (of "and Hollowbones" fame) is pretty sick with an intestinal flu. Sadly, there will be no Buckeye and Hollowbones this year, but we will be having Colonial Days tomorrow as planned. Actually, come to think of it, that's not exactly "as planned" either, is it?

Today the counselors from Clay are coming to do their scheduling meeting, and then you will have until sometime next week (I imagine...I'll let you know when I know) to get it back to me.

Right now the kids are hard at work journaling. I've enjoyed reading their entries--often extremely entertaining! They have a list of possible journal topics from which to choose, but of course freestyle is always welcome too.

We took the third in a series of Geography quizzes this morning. Next up, I'll be asking them to place the names of countries on a blank map. Don't worry, we'll only do about eight at a time, but I think this will give them a better idea of how the world--and all those countries they hear about--fits together.

Still on today's schedule: grading DOLs (sorry for the delay--it's harder to schedule than you may realize), book talks, word of the day, today's poem, and a little bit of review of our spelling test coming up on Friday. Tomorrow we won't have a chance to get to it.

Oh, and sorry about the ski trip! I know so many of you were looking forward to it. Who knew it would be sixty and stormy yesterday? I know a lot of the kids were pretty bummed.

Mr. A did say that some time in the next couple weeks, he's going to have the kids come down to the cafeteria for a pizza party and a movie or cartoons because he feels bad about everything being canceled. The kids were certainly in no mood to learn yesterday, so luckily for them, it was decided (by someone else) that the kids would all watch a movie yesterday. Personally, I was excited by the idea of getting another day of education in, but I'm pretty sure I was the only one in the building. I'm such a nerd.

Okay, I think those are the highlights. If I think of anything more, I'll pass it your way.

No comments: