Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Yet Another Trip Around the Sun

Happy 2019!

I normally don't believe in doing New Year's Resolutions, but I wanted to post some here from a list that Forbes put out. Yeah, I'm really original. Technically, it first appeared in 1919 about the year 1920. Nonetheless, these were good enough that I think I can aspire to them in the coming year. The original list contained 57 resolutions, but I'm going to pick my favorite 10 here.

To strive to contribute something to the world, its work and the people in it.

To adhere, the best I can, to the Golden Rule, both in business and in social life. 

To go about my activities with greater cheerfulness. 

To boost rather than bedevil. 

To be to my employer and to the world an asset rather than a liability. 

To squander less vitality, less time, less money.

To take sharp-edged disappointments and hammer them into spurs.

To talk less and do more.

To sympathize more the aims and aspirations of others.

To have faith in myself and never for a moment doubt my ability to do the thing I want to do.

To be no more charitable in viewing my own faults than I am in viewing the faults of others.

Okay, so that was 11. Who's going to arrest me? The blog police? For former teachers who started their blog when they were teaching, and inexplicably keep blogging on it?

In addition, I want to acknowledge that Tyler Trent, the student at Purdue from Carmel who had bone cancer, did pass away today. I will do another post on him soon, as a Boilermaker as well as a former Carmel Clay teacher, but for today, I wanted to look optimistically toward the coming year.

I hope you all have a wonderful 2019 while remembering those we have lost in 2018.

More to come, naturally.

No comments: