Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Who's Training Who Anyway?

Say what you will about guns, and I'm not about to say anything about them here on the Dojo, but the recent talk of ghost guns is pretty scary.

I have to say, though, that this is not a recent thing in my mind. This idea of 3D printed, unregistered guns first came into my mind four years ago when I had the honor of serving on a Global Scholars panel for my then-graduating student, Chris Hsu. Chris went to Park Tudor for high school, and his final project was to study the possible dangers of 3D printing, which is still in its infancy.

Part of Chris's presentation was a video which showed a guy in the audience of a politician. He had printed the parts to create a gun, assembled it, loaded it, and showed just how easily it could go wrong. 

Despite the fright brought on by such a reality, I am so proud to say, "I knew about that! I knew about it four years ago!"


By the way, pictured is Chris, four years ago, with his still-girlfriend, Sophia. Both of them were in my fifth grade class. He just graduated from Princeton, and she just graduated from Yale. I wish I could say that had anything to do with me, but they were pretty darn bright before they came into Area 51!

I hope you are staying on this thing, Chris! If not, I know that the world is still a better place as a result of what you're doing now.

(Click here to read the post I wrote on the day of his presentation. By the way, he was also a karate student. He got his black belt too.)

No comments: