Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Ring of Fire


It was fun last night to return to one of my favorite summer traditions, karate summer camp. The first summer I was at the bonfire, I thought, "Oh, these people have never seen a real campfire before." That's when I decided to pipe up and start pulling out all the camp songs that I had led during my years at Camp Tecumseh. Then, it just kind of became my job every year.

I was unable to go last year, but last night I did make my return. It was really gratifying, and I love watching the kids (who are getting older) take over the songs I used to lead. Even better was that I had a few of them who insisted that I get up and do some songs too. It's hard to say no to stuff that's been ingrained in my head for 20+ years.

Camp is always a good thing. It creates a culture of its own which cannot be understood by anyone who isn't a part of it. I think that's why everyone used to complain about being "homesick" after camp was over. Camp is its own thing, and to be part of it is always something incredibly special.

No comments: