Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Tragic Bataan

Have you ever been driving on Indiana State Highway 38 and wondered what the Bataan Memorial Highway is? I've always been curious since I was a little kid. I had never heard any bit of Indiana History that told me, but I had always assumed that it had to do with Indiana.

I'm ashamed to say that I had never heard of the Bataan Death March, which happened in the Philippines during World War II. Evidently, the Imperial Japanese Army forcibly moved thousands of prisoners to Balanga, the capital of Bataan. During this time, the Japanese soldiers would often beat or put their bayonets through prisoners who would fall behind because they couldn't walk. This outrage is part of what moved the United States into the mindset of joining the war. Of course, Pearl Harbor was the last straw.

As a memorial to those who died and suffered in this horrific event, memorial roads and bridges were designated in not only Indiana, but also Illinois, New Mexico, Ohio, Florida, Texas, Washington state, and Washington DC.

Now you know. Of course, you probably already knew--but now I'm glad to know for myself.

No comments: