Monday, July 2, 2012

Into the Sunset

I realize it's late now, but I wanted to chime in that 75 years ago today, July 2, 1937, is the day that Amelia Earhart disappeared over the Atlantic Ocean. She had set off from Miami to completely circumnavigate the globe. They had landed in New Guinea, and when they left, it was rainy and cloudy. Ms. Earhart had said the following, "We must be on you, but we cannot see you. Fuel is running low. Been unable to reach you by radio. We are traveling at one thousand feet."

An hour later, her final transmission was, "We are running north and south." She was never heard from again.

This is one of those many, many things from history that I wish we had time to talk about during the school year. In fact, I'm pretty sure I could teach nothing but history to fifth graders all school year and be happy as a clam.

I've been reading a lot this summer, and recently I've gotten into a history reading kick (I get into those from time to time.) Now I want to read about Ms. Earhart. But for now I have a couple books on the Manhattan Project that I'm itching to read. In fact, tomorrow I already know what I want to write about. As for now, pay respects to Amelia Earhart. She was a brave pioneer, a bold adventurer who didn't let the big boys get in her way. Bravo, Amelia!

No comments: