Thursday, May 27, 2010

Hold High the Torch

The kids did an amazing job with Rocky Top today, and all of the other teachers have come to me and told me about how much it meant to them.

I find myself at a total loss for words about the end of the day today. I just got done taking the names down off of the cubbies. Not an easy chore when your shirt is still damp with their tears. Thank you all so much for giving me the privilege of teaching your kids this year.

This poem was really inspirational to me when I first started working with kids. I hope you will all take its words to heart as well.

HOLD HIGH THE TORCH

Hold high the torch!
You did not light its glow--
'Twas given you by other hands, you know.
'Tis yours to keep it burning bright,
Yours to pass on when you no more need light;
For there are other feet we must guide,
And other forms go marching by our side;
Their eyes are watching every smile and tear
And efforts which we think are not worthwhile,
Are sometimes just the very helps they need,
Actions to which their souls would give most heed;
So that in turn they'll hold it high
And say, "I watched someone else carry it this way."
--Anonymous

Please stay in touch. I mean that.

16 comments:

Viva said...

we all miss u

Jeff said...

Thanks, Viva. You'd better believe that I'm going to miss you guys too.

Anonymous said...

hi mr.carter its hope and ellie and we really miss u

Anonymous said...

hey mr. c! it's ellie!! guess what i left my horn thing at school !!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

i miss u a ton. that comment made me cry,
Nick shaffer

Anonymous said...

i liked the poem it made me sad that i'll never be in your class again we miss (even though it's just been a day)
Sweet T

Anonymous said...

i miss you so much mr. carter! and every1 else 2!

Anonymous said...

from ellie b

Jeff said...

Nick, Ellie, Hope, and Sweet T: Thank you so much. I really appreciate your kind words. I miss you guys too.

Now get out there and have a great summer, okay?

Anonymous said...

u 2 Mr. Carter!
ELLIE

Anonymous said...

I am so sad that we all have to leave you
Hanna

reileybigfan said...

i am soooo sad: ( i am still thinking about leaving when you said you loved us: (

Jeff said...

:) Get happy, Reiley! It's summer! I have to admit that it was a hard day on that last day.

Hanna, I'm sad that the school year ended too. But just remember, it's over for all of us. And we will always have the memories of the school year.

I hope everyone keeps in touch for as long as we're all around.

Anonymous said...

I cried durring that I really really miss you Mr. Carter.
-Kate

Jeff said...

Oh, Kate, you rock! Thank you! Will you please remember me when you're on Saturday Night Live?

Unknown said...

Hey mr.c hows your summer going i just came back from my lakehouse~~~Hope :)