Thursday, May 15, 2008

School of Fish

What a successful bake sale we had yesterday at the choir program! We made about $350 for Relay for Life. A huge thanks to Mrs. Rigsbee, Mrs. Gatte, and all of the parents who sent in baked goods to be sold at the sale.

The book report is due tomorrow, so make sure your kids are all putting on the...uh..."finishing touches", which I'm sure is all they still need.

We've been talking a lot about personal responsibility in class recently. Caring for the classroom, trying to work things out on their own, etc. I asked who had seen the movie Finding Nemo, and asked what happened when Nemo got sucked into the filter. Everyone rushed to help him out, but then the black and white striped fish with the torn fin said, "Nope. Let him figure it out for himself." I related this to the way they need to view school. I teach them how to do it, and then they do it. However, I can't do it for them. I asked them what Nemo would have learned if they'd all pulled him out of the filter. The kids all agreed: nothing.

And I hope that after having had me, pushing them along and pulling them along, that they will have learned something. And I know already that they have.

No comments: