Wednesday, February 9, 2011

You Got Served

It was a fun night at Cool River this evening. At least during the hour that I was there, classroom 5-1 did seem to be dominating. I saw representation from the following clans tonight: the Ackermans, the Blocks, the Chens (who took the picture to the left--thanks!), the Gonzalezes, the Gripps, the Langstons, the Pattersons, the Schipps, and the Spencers. That's a lot for one hour. Twins (and 2/3rds of a group of triplets) included, that accounts for eleven of my twenty-one students. That's a pretty profound percentage, so it looks like we could have another pizza party around the bend. Also, I ordered one before I left and made sure it counted for my classroom, so the percentage is slightly higher after that.

You know, I've had a lot of jobs since I was sixteen: video store clerk, gas station worker, camp counselor, reader to the blind, worked food service in the dorm, after school (and before-school) care, factory worker, summer camp counselor, camp administrator, advertising agent, teacher, tutor, karate instructor...heck, I even used to work as a guy who would go to people's houses and hook up hospital beds when they were critically ill. But one thing I've never done is waiting tables. I got to bus and serve tonight, and I want to thank you all for making sure it was fun. Thanks also to Mrs. Larson who pulled a double-shift just to make sure I wouldn't be alone. Anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of having had Mrs. Larson as either their teacher or their child's teacher doesn't know what kind of sunshine they're missing out on. And Mrs. Fadel showed me the ropes before she left, so thanks to her also.

Thanks for all the support all of you show to the Woodbrook PTO. It's pretty astounding, and much-appreciated. Thanks also to Cool River Pizza for doing this fundraiser! Not only do you make excellent pizza, but you're also stand-up members of the community.

No comments: