Friday, May 29, 2009

No Truer Words

This was written by one of the kids on the board the other day and I had to take a picture of it. It sums up what this school year has meant to me. At the start of each school year, I sit the kids down and tell them that, as a class, we are going to operate as a family. I then ask them whether or not they ever fight with their brothers and sisters. Of course the answer is always yes, but when it comes down to the nuts and bolts of it, they will always stand up for their family. 

As this school year progressed, I saw more and more evidence of this as they began treating each other like they would treat their brothers and sisters--they would bicker and squabble and the typical stuff, but there was an abounding "esprit de corps" that was almost tangible. This really manifested itself first at Camp Tecumseh, and especially during times like Track and Field Day. We would all cheer on whoever was representing us, and I loved seeing the transformation from a group of kids who were a little bit disparate at the beginning, but which, after time, became...well, a family. 

This morning I told the kids that next year they would be scattered all over the place on different teams at Clay, that they'd never be all together again. One boy muttered underneath his breath, "I wish we could." Frankly, I wish we could too. But hopefully everyone came away from this year with some indelible memories, and that like all families who grow up and move away from home, those memories will flood back just when they need them most. Not just for them, but for me.

And to you parents, I want to thank you for your overwhelming support this school year. You guys were very patient with me, overwhelmingly helpful any time I needed anything, and incredibly generous. Thank you so much.

And please, as a wise man often says, remember to be well, do good work, and keep in touch.

5 comments:

Laura said...

Remember the year I was in your class and one day we just started making verses to the "Our House" song (well, it was mostly Aaron and Michael)? My favorite one was "Our house, where Aaron likes to eat concrete!". That has stayed with me all these years.

That and the bee wands.

Jeff said...

Wow, the BEE WANDS. I COMPLETELY forgot about those! Man, those were hilarious! It's so funny that they gave us dead bees so that we could actually pollenate the flowers ourselves. And remember how I had to go to Lowe's and buy the best flowers I could find...in November? Man, were those some lame flowers.

I love the "Our House" verses too. Hilarious. Good times, good times.

Laura said...

I remember watering one of our plants with Barton water, one with soap water, and one with regular water to see which would grow better. Some of the other groups got a little more creative and used leftover coffee...

I don't think any of the flowers lived very long. Didn't we forget about them over winter break or something?

Jeff said...

You're right, Laura! I completely forgot about them over Thanksgiving. But I don't think it mattered much, what with the soap water. I think the Barton water should have helped it, though.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.