Friday, November 7, 2008

Minds Awake

I couldn't be more pleased with the way Camp Tecumseh turned out the last three days. My class was so well-behaved, everything went so well, that I can't even put it into words. Sure, we had a couple hours yesterday when I thought we would all be swept out to sea by the stormy chaos, but other than that brief window, we couldn't have asked for anything more.

My favorite thing about camp is getting to know the parents. Sure, it's a great way for me to bond with some individual students, but regardless of how hard I try, I always end up around a few of them a bit more than the others. This has to do with what I end up teaching, what individual circumstances are, and who is at my table during meals and stuff like that. But it gives me time each year to get to know certain parents and kids better, and I'm always thankful for this.

I'm so thankful for this class of kids and their parents. I'm not trying to gush, suck up, or anything of the sort. It is a pleasure each day to walk into work, knowing that I get to work with your children. I don't take my position lightly, and I thoroughly enjoy and appreciate my position in your children's lives as well as yours.

I had so much fun taking you guys to what used to be the pine forest, down to the river (sorry about the darn cat), and up to the lodge on the night hike. The kids couldn't believe how much hair I used to have. I loved how much the kids truly took to heart our two mantras this week: "Whatever", and "It's all good."

We all learned a new game: Ga-ga. It's pretty amazing, although Mr. A wasn't sure we were going to get a ga-ga pit made any time soon at the WB.

Mr. Vahle and I were talking on the way home from camp, and we both just truly love our jobs. We discussed how horribly we would take it if we were told that any one student would be removed from our classrooms. We are both extremely cognizant of the jobs we do, and it just reaffirms the fact that it's good to be in my position.

The trip really geared me up for the rest of the school year. We have a lot to get through, but I guarantee it's going to be totally worthwhile.

No comments: