Monday, November 16, 2009

The Current Carter Current

It’s Still Last Week
Hey, there, everybody! It’s great to be alive. Seriously, I’m fine, but I wanted to thank you all for the magnanimous outpouring of support and love I’ve received since last Wednesday. You all are the greatest. When I got home Wednesday night, my inboxes overflowed with people concerned about me. I’m truly sorry that the kids were told that I had gone to the hospital, but the response was a nice reminder of the support I have in you all. Between the prayers, the kind words, and the food, I couldn’t ask for more out of you all. Please accept my sincere thanks.

On Friday, I went to the cardiologist, who says I have the healthiest heart he’s seen in a long time. The neurologist believes it’s probably just a pinched nerve, but wants to go ahead and run a few tests. Because of that, I’ll be out this Friday as well, and then a couple afternoons in a few weeks. Seems excessive, but I’m not one to argue with the doctor.

Because of this fiasco, we’re now a little behind. But God willing, we’ll catch up; don’t worry! It might take some funky scheduling, but we’ll make up for all time lost as soon as possible.

So as Long as You’re Still Feeling All Warm and Fuzzy About Mr. Carter…
Okay, I’m coming out and saying that I could use some volunteers in the classroom. Many of you have asked me when you can come in, and I’m always non-committal, but seriously, I could use some help. I admit it. I’m going to need help with things like 1.) organizing file folders for each child’s portfolio of work, 2.) organizing in my pigsty--er, classroom, I mean--in general, 3.) hang up student work in the hallways and make copies, and 4.) floating questions during any morning, which would allow me to work with small reading groups uninterrupted, or in the afternoon, help out with small groups in Math to help people with trouble spots. Anyone willing and able to help me out is more than welcome. If not, I understand completely. I already have more support than most teachers in out there.

Trial and Error
In Math this week, it was pretty crazy. We had to do a reset, because we had people completely lost on the fractions. Anyway, most of the week was spent doing logic problems and other Math puzzles, and we still have a few kinks in the system to work out, but this week we should be back on track as far as the fractions go. We’ve been adding, subtracting, and multiplying fractions. This chapter doesn’t involve the dividing of fractions, luckily. I apologize that this class was the one most interrupted by my “neuro-vascular incident” this week. Let’s hope this week is much closer to normal.

I Didn’t Ask for Your Life Story…Oh, Wait, I Actually Did
Wow, do the biography book report projects look awesome! I can’t wait to get these babies hung up in the hallway. This is definitely going to be an every-year project for me now. I love it when I find a new book report idea that works. The kids have almost talked me into employing my original idea of doing a 3-D model of a character or part of the book. So remember, when they come home with that project assignment, it was their idea, not mine!

Proud Americans
Did your kids ever deliver on the Veteran’s Day program the other day! I was so proud of them. This is one “Mr. Carter assignment” that I’m willing to hold onto, because I’m always left with a feeling of pride in my class. Awesome jobs all around.

No comments: