Sunday, September 13, 2015

Racecar

Last week I had the pleasure of speaking with Mrs. Marciano's class in the fourth grade (I know many of my students had her last year as well as the year prior, and that she misses them greatly!). I was asked by her and one of her students to come and talk to their class about dyslexia.

As I mentioned on Meet the Teacher Night, I have a little personal experience with dyslexia, and I was more than happy to dispel some common misconceptions about it. The kids had some really good questions. I told them that it's not something you can catch, it's not a "disease" that cripples your ability to get through everyday life, and it's not a sign of a low IQ whatsoever.

I have to say one thing for Woodbrook, and perhaps society as a whole. The kids are very understanding about stuff like this. As I've told kids in the past, everybody is normal until you get to know them. And what is "normal" anymore, anyway? We're all just a part of a bigger puzzle around here.

No comments: