Sunday, July 1, 2012

All I Need's a Fast Machine

The Indiana Historical Society recently put out one of my summer recommendations. This book is a grown-up book, not in the fact that it's inappropriate for kids; it's just that kids would find it boring.

Full disclosure here: I've never seen a Steve McQueen movie. But he's a Hoosier, and a formerly well-known one (and subject of a Sheryl Crow song), and since about halfway through this book, I've added The Great Escape, The Magnificent Seven, and Papillon to my Netflix queue.

This book was written by Wes Gehring, who is a film professor at Ball State, and talks about McQueen's troubled home life in Beech Grove and then his life in Hollywood. Brings a humanity to the face we've all seen, most more than me. But now I can't wait to catch a few retro films starring this famous Hoosier, even if he would have rather kept that part of his life in the past.

No comments: