Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Of Course You Realize

Hey, there! Sorry it's been a whole WEEK since I've updated this blog. First off, I want to alleviate (and destroy) any worries anyone has about this paper. We're in the middle of ISTEP, for crying out loud! No one is allowed to worry about getting any rough draft done in that time, so I told the kids that we've hit the pause button for a little while.

RIGHT NOW, their only homework for the last three days has been to read for at least a half hour every night. For some kids, this is only about a third of the time that they normally spend reading. For everyone else, this is pure torture. However, they have a large book report that is due on March 10th! They collectively asked me for an extension. Normally, my bleeding heart would aquiesce to such pleas. However, I reminded them that I assigned this book report ONE MONTH before it was due! I told them that, for the sake of their own character, I wasn't about to back down on that one, and that they would have to put a little extra work into getting their books read. (And if you're one of the MANY infamous parents who has been maligned by your own child for throwing their copy of the book report away, I have posted extra copies on the front board, but I've had few takers... new copies have been available for a week now, I'm just saying...if you haven't seen it, you may want to ask your child where it is...)

In Math, we're going to be working today on pattern recognition. I became acutely aware yesterday during Math Box time that we need to zoom in on this one. Just because ISTEP is going on, that doesn't mean that numbers take a rest.

No comments: