Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Routine Establishments

Homework update:

The students have an assignment due tomorrow in Social Studies. Page 11, 2-5. They have to answer each question with a complete sentence. Many of them finished this before they went home, but I didn't get to see how they did just yet. They were also assigned a day next week to have an article for Current Events, as well as a sheet to fill out for what they learned from their article.

Make sure the kids have a composition notebook by Monday for their daily writing journals. I showed them this today, but I think I forgot to have them write it in their assignment notebooks.
For Math we did a division test of simple facts. I told them that if they didn't do so well, it's time to break out the flashcards. They also worked on a "scavenger hunt" through their Math books to help them learn how to use their Math books when they need help with how to do a problem.

In English today, I introduced the kids to DOLs and the proofreading marks. DOLs start out difficult, but after doing them three times a week every week of the year, they get used to them pretty quickly. We graded this one in class today, and they'll do another one tomorrow. I also told them that there's nothing wrong with taking them home and letting the parents take a look at them. Of course, I'd prefer you didn't do it for them, but rather just tell them "look for two more things in this line..." They should also always take their WriteSource 2000 book home for reference.

Later this week and next, we'll be doing some exercises that involve commas, because that is the most common thing on which to make mistakes.

Whew! We got through quite a bit today. And I haven't even managed to pass out the Reading books yet! So much to do, so little time, but so much more time than we had last year. This is a very good thing.

Your kiddos are great, and I look forward to getting to know them more and more as the next couple weeks pass.

No comments: